Sunday, November 9, 2014

Brunch at Lavagna

IMG_2801[1]
Brunch with Mom is always great! Our usual locale is Banana Café. A yummy little place on M Street in SW DC. (Review for another post) But today my sister said, “Let’s try something different.”  And Mom said “Let’s try Lavagna!” She had me at bottomless mimosas!
Ristorante Italiano Lavagna, also located on M Street, SW, among an array of cultural delights. Lavangna’s brunch menu had me captivated with delicious treats like Marscapone Pancakes, Goat Cheese Omelets, and Italian Sausage Gravy. I was at a loss for what to decide! My first choice was the Marscapone Pancakes. It’s very hard for me to say no to anything involving marscapone, and these featured marscapone made with honey nutella!! WHAT?? I NEED!!! However, this trip I was pretty hungry and wanted something savory to go with my sweet. I decided to try something else this go round and indulge in the pancakes another day. Today I would try the Smoked Salmon Omelet! Citrus cured salmon, smoked gouda, spinach, capers (yet another thing I can’t say no to), with house made potatoes tossed in garlic oil and parmesan. They failed to mention that the omelet would be drizzled over with an aioli sauce, but I am absolutely not complaining!! The caramelized onions inside of the omelet were also a pleasant surprise! But sweet and perfectly caramelized they were the perfect addition to this amazing concoction! You get a healthy portion, I wasn’t able to finish it! The salmon was moist and flavorful, but a little cold. This may have been a purposeful, I’m afraid I’m not sure, but it wasn’t enough to make me complain or send it back and it was definitely fully cooked. This could be just the way it is meant to be served. The spinach still fresh and fairly crisp, proving Lavagna’s claim to fresh made meals, made from scratch. Overall, I was very pleased! Mom and sis both had eggs any style, and I took the liberty of sampling from both of their plates. Sis had scrambled eggs made with goat cheese, creamy, light and burst in your mouth flavor! Mom had some Italian sausage patties that I had to try! They looked like sliders, thick and hearty! Unfortunately, they tasted a bit more like burgers than sausage, but I could definitely taste the seasoning in the meat that I’m sure many would love. The highlight, I must say, was the focaccia toast! I was sad not to have any on my own plate, I think it should come with every meal! Lightly toasted and full of flavor these triangles came with honey butter that was to die for!! It took everything in us not to take it home, even once the toast was gone. There were little cups of jam as well, but unfortunately, we didn’t even notice it until the check was coming. Next time!
All in all, Lavagna was a great choice!! An enjoyable meal, pretty good service, and focaccia toast!! Made me happy! I will absolutely be back!
#justagirl

No comments:

Post a Comment